Tuesday, February 25, 2014

February 25, 2014

     Thanks to huge words on this week's spelling list, the children were more than likely asking you what some of those words mean. It is okay to answer as best as you can. I have been doing the same thing. One parent asked where the word list came from. It's a combination of things: language books (such as textbooks from my professors when I attended the elementary program at Western Washington a few years ago), my own children's language books from when they were in the 1st-2nd grade (they have always been a year ahead of their classmates in ELA), the children's Word Builder, and the internet. Previous spelling lists were words that came from either their Word Builder binders (both classes), or their Spellwell (PM class). This time, I'm upping the ante.
 
     In looking at where the children were at in their spelling, and in looking at previous words that they needed the most help in, I decided to comprise a list of words with double consonant letters this week.  There are three different levels: AM I, AM II, and PM. 

     As the word list contains challenging vocabulary we launched preparations for dictionary skills which have just begun today. The children started looking at learning how to look at letters alphabetically, which has been brought home for tonight’s homework (AM and PM classes). For the PM class, they have brought home the second part of the exercise -- putting words in alphabetical order, numerically. The PM class will go over that with my substitute, or will have to wait until Thursday. I told the PM class that they don't have to do it for homework, but if they wanted something challenging they can have a head start on it. I won't be surprised if they do: those kids are very competitive with themselves!  For both classes, they are to figure out what letters are "before" or "after" a given letter. They had fun going it over with the entire class today. The rest of the exercise should be done at home.

     If there are any questions, you may hold them off until Thursday, or email me. Thanks!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment